woensdag 20 januari 2010

Prison population 'should be cut' by third, say MPs

Blog 9
Summary:
The prison population should be reduced by putting a third of the offenders back on the streets. The current level of the prison population is 84,000 prisoners. The government wanted to spend £4.2billion on building extra prison places in 2014 but that is a mistake. The justice committee said that prison should be the last option. The millions of pounds from the prison system could be put into local public services, like education and drug addiction programmes. Very dangerous people need to be locked up for a very long time. But people who are addicted to drugs of alcohol do not belong in the prison.

Reaction:
I think the cross-party Justice committee is right. low level offenders, drug and alcohol addicts and prisoners with mental illnesses should be helped by another way, their problems do not disappear when they are in jail for a couple of months/years. Though I think they have to be careful and inquire if these people are not dangerous for the society. I think also that they could save money if they make prison live much more severe, no TV, no computers, no mobile phones, basic food. They could also create more capacity if they putting two or more prisoners in each cell.

Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8457554.stm

2 opmerkingen:

  1. I also agree that most addicts should not be held in prison but should be provided with professional help, to help them with their problems.I am not sure if it is less expensive, because professional help is in my opinion equally (or maybe even more) expensive than prison.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I think that addicts shouldn't be held in prison too. This will help to reduce the costs, but I have another solution. Prisons are like hotels these days, with a television, a radio, a Playstation, and so on. If we stop to make prisons like hotels, but make prisons real prisons without tv's, radios, etc. we are able to reduce the costs and maybe we can even decrease the amount of crimes.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen