Blog 7
Summary:
For the first time scientist have a complete genetic code for two common forms of cancer, long and skin cancer. This major breakthrough could open a new era in the treatment of cancer. All mutations in lung and skin tumours have been revealed. Due to new DNA sequencing technologies, scientists are able to decode the genome of the tumours and now they can see how the cancer has developed. They found 23,000 mutations in each long cancer cel and 33,000 in each skin cancer cel, knowing which mutations are important should lead to better treatment. In the future scientist hope that this technique will indentifie other forms of cancer as well.
Reaction:
This is absulutly great news! I hope that they will soon have similair insights in other forms of cancer. I think this major progress gives a lot of people hope to cure their cancer. I have red that if an avarage long cancer patience has smoked 18.000 packets of cigarettes that would mean that every 15 cigarretts caused one mutation. I think this is very usefull information for lots of people who are smoking. Unfortunatly it confirmed also that skin cancers are caused by long term exposure to the sun. It was a very interesting article to read.
Source:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6831334/British-scientists-crack-killer-cancer-code.html
vrijdag 8 januari 2010
Abonneren op:
Reacties posten (Atom)
I really like this kind of articles. It is possitive news and I like positive news. A lot of articles are about dead people, or problems or dangerous situations. This article brings good news. I think it is important that they do research to treatments for cancer because there are to many people who die because of cancer.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenWow, this is great news! I have worked in a hospital and most of my patients had (or have had) some sort of cancer. I was always surprised that we knew so little of a disease that is so wide spread. (no pun intended)
BeantwoordenVerwijderenOf course we knew in general what went wrong when somebody developed cancer, but not in the details so I think this is a huge step forward.